Sunday, July 05, 2009

Trip to Mount Rainier

This 4th of July weekend Julie and I decided to visit Mount Rainier for the first time. As it turns out, a lot of other people had a similar idea, but they must have had it long before we did because every campsite was reserved. So we decided to do a short day trip. Although our visit was brief, we did have a chance to take a short hike up the mountain from Paradise. The view was absolutely amazing and my pictures don't do it justice. I'm determined to return before the end of August to hike up to Camp Muir. I expect that the snow will have melted away and the wild flowers will be in bloom.

Trip to Mount Rainier


In case you're wondering, the furry little animal in the pictures is a marmot. After reading a bit on Wikipedia I believe it is more specifically an Olympic Marmot (Marmota olympus) which is closely related to a woodchuck (Marmota monax) which in the south is often called a whistle pig. :)

No comments: